Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links
Emergency Management

Emergency Management

ROAD CLOSURES - Current at 1 January 2023

  • Rhook Road, Strathkellar

Motorists are advise to obey road signage and are reminded that it is an offence to drive around road closed signs.

During emergencies such as fire or flood, Regional Roads Victoria is responsible for not only providing information about freeways, highways and major roads impacted, but also local or council roads.

For the latest information on road closures check the VicTraffic website.

To report a hazard, call 13 11 70 or visit

Business Support - October Floods 2022

As of 1 November, Southern Grampians Shire Council has been deemed eligible for assistance under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangement.

This is a $877 million government recovery package to support businesses, farmers and not-for-profits to rebuild and return to trade following the recent floods.

Grants of up to $50,000 will be available to eligible businesses, not-for-profit organisations, community sport and active recreation organisations to support recovery efforts including rebuilding and damaged infrastructure and replacing damaged assets.

Primary producers and rural landholders grants of up to $75,000.

Click here for more information.

Small Business Immediate Flood Relief Grant

What it is?

One-off $5,000 payment that can be used to cover expenses arising from damage caused from flooding to the place of business, business assets, stock or equipment, such as:

• qualified tradespeople to conduct safety inspections, repair premises and internal fittings
• equipment, materials and services needed for clean-up
• removal and disposal of debris, damaged materials or damaged stock
• equipment, stock and materials essential for immediately resuming operations.

Who can get it?

To be eligible, a business must:

• be located within an eligible local government area
• hold an active ABN on and from 14 October 2022
• be registered for GST on and from 14 October 2022
• have incurred significant direct damage from flooding to the place of business, business assets, stock or equipment
• not have received support under the Primary Producer Flood Relief Program or the Community Sport Emergency Flood Assistance Program.

How to apply

See for Program Guidelines and to apply. Call 13 22 15 if you have any questions.

Floods - October 2022

Rubbish Collection for Flood Damaged Items

Residents who are clearing out rubbish from flood impacted homes can take items to the Hamilton Transfer station free of charge.

If you are unable to get to the transfer station, please contact 5573 0444 to arrange collection from your nature strip.

This service is for household items and furniture only. No green waste will be accepted.

Flood Recovery Hotline

The Victorian Government has a Flood Recovery Hotline - Call 1800 560 760 for the latest information or assistance with:

• navigating available supports
• clean-up
• temporary accommodation
• mental health and wellbeing support

The recovery hotline is open from 7.30am-7.30pm every day.

For additional help and a list of available services, visit the Victorian Government's Flood Recovery webpage

SES Flood Guide and Information
Better Health Victoria Emergencies and Floods

Victorian and Australian Government financial help

Relief Assistance
The Victorian Government is providing emergency relief assistance for community members whose homes have been impacted by the current flood emergency in Victoria. If your home has been affected by flooding, you can get a one-off emergency payment. This payment is for immediate relief, including food, shelter, clothing, medication, accommodation Emergency relief assistance is based on a fixed amount for each member of your household (adults and children). Payments of $580 per adult and $290 per child (up to a maximum of $2030 per eligible family) are available.

There are eligibility requirements. For more information and application details visit: Vic Emergency Relief Assistance Payment

Re-establishment Assistance
You can get financial help to return home if:
• You cannot live in your home because it is damaged or destroyed OR
• You cannot access your home for more than 7 days because of flooding

Re-establishment assistance is only available for your principal place of residence. It can help to pay for clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding your home, replacing some damaged contents.
This help is means tested. You can only get it if you:

• do not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance AND
• are experiencing financial hardship

For more information, visit the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing website

Australian Government Income Support

Australian Government is providing support if you’ve lost income as a direct result of the October 2022 floods.

For more information on the Victorian Floods Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment and the application form see: Victorian Floods, October 2022 - Disaster Recovery Allowance

Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA)
The disaster recovery allowance (DRA) is for employees and sole traders who lose income because of a major disaster. You can get payments for up to 13 weeks after the disaster happens. These payments are taxable. Find out more and apply through Services Australia - Disaster Recovery Allowance

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP)
This is for people who have suffered a significant loss because of the floods. This includes:

• if your home was severely damaged or destroyed
• or if you suffered a serious injury

Eligible adults can access up to $1,000, plus $400 for every child. More information and application details found here.

Relief Assistance for Flood-affected Farmers
The Victorian Government is supporting flood affected farmers with a support package:
Clean up Relief Grants: $10,000 payments to cover the costs of clean up and get business up and running.
Concessional Loans: Up to $250,000 to restore or replace flood-damaged equipment and infrastructure
Transport Subsidies: Up to $15,000 to support transport of emergency fodder, stock drinking water and livestock movement. Find out more and apply here.

Relief Assistance for Business
Businesses directly affected by October 2022 floods that have incurred damage can access a $5000 one off grant to cover immediate clean up, repair and replenish expenses, through the Victorian Government’s Small Business Immediate Flood Relief Program. Business mentors will also provide additional support to guide owners through issues. Applications open and more information available here or by calling the Business Victoria hotline on 13 22 15.

The Municipal Emergency Management Plan considers the range of emergencies that our community might be faced with.

The emergency and support agencies on the Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee collectively produce and own this plan. The plan provides local emergency planning needs and works within Regional and State plans.

The Southern Grampians Shire Municipal Emergency Management Plan has a number of sub plans for different hazards and functions including fire. Contact Council on 5573 0444 for more information.

Powered by