Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links

Food Premises Types

Temporary and Mobile Food Premises

If you operate a food van, food stall, food vending machines or a drinking water carting business you can register or notify council, renew your registration, and lodge statements of trade online through Streatrader. This is a single state-wide registration and notification scheme for temporary and mobile food premises and makes it easier for food businesses and community groups as they no longer require multiple registrations to operate in different council districts.

Streatrader Statement of Trade (SOT) require to be submitted 5 days prior to trading.
If you are unable to access Streatrader, contact Council's Environmental Health Department

For more information on operating food truck, van, market stall or BBQ stall or water carter go to the Victorian Department of Health website.

Environmental Health Department
1 Market Place, Hamilton Vic 3300
Phone (03) 5573 0256

If you are a community group or not-for profit body and you want to sell food at an event or function or sell food at a fundraiser then you will need to follow the Food Safety Obligations. You can find all the information you need at Victorian Department of Health of Health website.

Home Business

If you are planning on preparing food from home for sale to the public, it is important to put food safety first. The Food Act 1984 requires anyone who sells food, including the use of private dwellings to prepare the food, to be registered with Council. The food safety laws require that the layout of private dwellings minimise opportunities for food contamination. You must ensure that the food fixtures, fittings, equipment and transport vehicles can be cleaned or sanitised if needed. You must also ensure that the private dwelling is provided with the necessary services of water, waste disposal, light, ventilation, cleaning and personal hygiene facilities, storage space and access to toilets.

You can book a consultation with Council's Planning Department to determine whether a planning permit is required on (03) 5573 0256 or email Also refer to the Home Occupation provisions under the planning Scheme which are available online.

Powered by